Saturday, March 22, 2008

Kindergarten graduation in Korea




I had my first experience with a kindergarten graduation of any sort a few weeks ago...it was insane! I should really say that I've been having this experience for awhile because we started practicing for the spectacle in December. The performance wasn't until the end of February. The kids I teach are 6 years old in Korea, which means they're actually really only five years old. All the teachers at my school had to create a skit for their class of 12 children. And when I say skit, I really mean a five minute English play where each child has 5-7 lines that they memorize interspersed with 3-4 songs that the children sing and dance to....did I mention that we had to choreograph the dances and make these 5 year olds memorize words they don't understand??

It was quite an experience. I was so nervous for them, but on the actual day, despite nervousness and frustration, they looked amazing, performed like all-stars and managed to remain relatively calm while waiting for their 5 minutes of fame during the performance schedule. Did I mention that it was a four hour ceremony? After it was over, all of us foreign teachers introduced ourselves and the kids brought us flowers, I have never seen such elaborate bouquets. I love Korea!

No comments: