Thursday, June 26, 2008

Egypt - Luxor!

I really thought that seeing the pyramids in Cairo was going to be the highlight of my trip to Egypt, but I was proven wrong today! After two days in Cairo, Joy, Luke, Aaron and I flew down to Luxor.

The tombs and temples there were spectacular...absolutely amazing! Some of them were so well preserved, and some not so much but it was amazing. My favorite things were the obelisks, they were massive and carved from a single piece of stone, they were breathtaking, none of them were under 100 feet tall and every inch of them was covered with hieroglyphics, pictures etc...the amount of detail in every carving was unbelievable.

Also, the Karnak temple and the tombs we saw were unforgetable. My favorites were the tomb of Ramses II and Sety. Some of the tombs were fairly simple and shallow but these two were deep and so intact that you could see color on some of the walls. Most of the temples and tombs were full of color when they were made but that has since faded in most areas so it was pretty impressive to see an spots where it was still preserved.

We also took a sunset cruise on the Nile in a felucca boat, as you can see it was beautiful!



We head to Jordan tomorrow morning, I can't wait!

No comments: