Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Almost done...

As my year here comes to an end, I'm starting to realize just how much has changed in a year. When I left, my plan was to spend a year here, make some money, pay off some loans, and go back to do my masters...basically put my life on hold for a year and step right back in to it without missing too much. Well that hasn't hapenned at all...thank goodness.

When I came here, I wanted a break but I got so much more. Rather than taking a break from my life, this has been an amazing extension that has turned into an an adventure I can't wait to continue. Although I'm sure it sounds a bit cheesy, I've learned so much about myself by living in another culture. I feel like it's added another dimension and given me another perspective on what I want to do with myself and how I want to do it.

Ok no more vagueness, basically it made me realize just how different life can be without exposure to diversity. Diversity of opinion, thought and culture. Korea is a very homogeneous country. I'm the only Canadian or person of color most of my students have ever met. While teaching English is my job description, I think the most important thing I have done for any of my students is to give them exposure to another way of thinking, not one that is better than their own, but just one that is different. And, I think that's also the most important thing they've done for me.

No comments: