Monday, May 26, 2008

Jindo





This weekend Aaron and I went down to Jindo, south of our city, for what's known as the 'Jindo sea parting festival'. It sounded too amazing to be true. Before I went, I had read about thousands of people flocking to this small community to walk down a path that clears in the middle of the sea three times a year. The tide goes out in such a way that right smack in the middle of this normally deep sea, there is a path that allows you walk all the way to the nearest island about 3KM away.

It was awesome!! The first part of our experience involved buying these bright green boots that went all the way to my thighs (and also conveniently matched my shirt). Then we ate some food, walked along the beach and waited until 4:30 when we could start walking. The tide was officially out all the way at 5:00, so there was some water on the path when we started the walk, but for the most part it was pretty clear. There was a marching band of sorts leading the way and along the way, some of the thousands of people we were sharing this experience with, were scooping various sea creatures out of the water and directing us where to go. There were a few places where a couple of steps in the wrong direction lead to deep water (I hapenned to take one of those steps, that's why my pants are wet in some pics, oops!). We saw some excited children find starfish and one man pulled out a large octopus/squid looking thing, it was intense. The whole experience was pretty surreal, I'm glad I have the pics to show, unfortunately my boots were not in good enough shape to keep as a souvenir!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello, I'm Emma Jang from WorknPlay in Seoul, Korea. I read about your interesting Jindo Sea Parting Festival experience in Korea on your personal blog. Would you consider also sharing about this festival on WorknPlay's website? You could use this opportunity to publicize your blog, by include a link to your website. Please feel free to contact me via e-mail eunjung@worknplay.co.kr .
Thank you.